Taranaki test site-and cleanup-area
(image source: Google Earth)
Nuclear Weapons Forum
In conjunction with the exhibition Black Mist Burnt Country on display in the First Australians Galleries at the National Museum hosted a public forum under the title ‘Global security through nuclear weapons’.
The panel included
- the former Director General of the Australian Safeguards and Non-Proliferation Office (1989-2010) John Carlson,
- Professor Ramesh Thakur, Director of the Centre for Nuclear Non-Proliferation and Disarmament (CNND) in the Crawford School, Australian National University,
- Professor Richard Tanter, Senior Research Associate, Nautilus Institute, and Honorary Professor in the School of Political and Social Sciences at the University of Melbourne,
- NSW and ACT Executive Director of Australian Red Cross, Jody Broun,
- Austrian Ambassador to Australia Dr Bernhard Limburg and
- Dr Stephan Frühling, Associate Professor in the Strategic and Defence Studies Centre of the Coral Bell School of Asia-Pacific Affairs, Australian National University.
The forum was moderated by Humphrey McQueen.
See the flyer with a detailed program and audio recordings of the sessions below.